Translate

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sharing Gratitude

The Thankful Tree

Hurricane Sandy in the east and droughts in the west have made this Thanksgiving a special time to reflect on how important our community is.  Listening to the wonderful stories of  people and groups caring for each other after Sandy is a refreshing change from the usual nightly TV fare.  While watching neighbors helping neighbors, I realize that something really beautiful can come out of adversity. There are many lessons to be learned from this experience. I hope that our young people will realize the importance of building community and providing service for others.  I also hope that they will learn to honor the wisdom of the first Native Americans, and respect our natural environment.

Each Thanksgiving I try to provide a project that connects the children in the family with a deeper meaning of giving thanks.  This year I liked Daily Candy's Gratitude Jar and the Thankful tree by Simply Vintage Girl.  I liked both their ideas and I think we will probably extend them beyond the holidays.    Thanksgiving and Gratitude show be celebrated every day.


Return Children's Focus

No comments:

Post a Comment