Translate

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Grinch That Almost Stole Christmas




 When I look back on Christmas 2010, I will be grateful for the season for many reasons but  one incident stands out above the rest.  This is a story of how the Grinch almost stole my Christmas spirit.  It was the week of Christmas and I was heading to my nephews' Christmas pageant by bus.  We were suppose to meet at my mother's house first but when I realized that I was going to be too late, I decided to jump on a train and head to their school.  I needed to call my mother and let her know I would meet them at the school but  I didn't have a cell phone on me.  I don't need to tell you I was a little stressed but fortunately, ( I thought) there were two phones in the train station.  So I tried to call her on the first phone but a man who I had not noticed before started, "Miss, can I have some change, can you spare something...blah blah blah" I was very annoyed with the interruption and not in a good mood so I snapped back sharply, " I don't have any more change" ( which was the truth) and preceded to ignore his conversation.

I continued placing my call only to find out that the phone did not work.  I could hear my sister on the other end of the phone but she could not hear me.   After a lot of shouting on my part the telephone just swallowed my money and I realized with dismay that  I had no more change.  So I headed to the token booth to ask the clerk to change a dollar bill for me.  She was sitting there with a small mound of change but looked at me and started screaming, "No, I am not giving you any of my change."  She continued with her loud outburst and shouting for a few minutes.  I was surprised by the scene she was making and was about to say something nasty when the same man who I had just brushed off came to my rescue.  "Don't get upset miss, you need quarters for the phone?" and handed me four quarters.  At that moment I realized that Christmas was much more than the stress I was feeling and it was also a good time to receive as well as give.  So I humbly thanked him and made my call.   Sometimes the lessons I learn come from left field.

No comments:

Post a Comment